Monday, March 21, 2011

On inertia

According to Newton's first law - "a body at rest will remain at rest, and a body in motion will remain in motion with a constant velocity, unless acted upon by a force".

In his great book 'Mojo: How to Get It, How to Keep It, How to Get It Back if You Lose It', Marshal Goldsmith writes about inertia, which he considers to be the default response in our lives.

See any similarities? (The Newton's law is also known as 'the law of inertia'.)

I know you do. However, this doesn't mean that we can draw a conclusion on that basis. The first statement is a fact - it is a proven law of physics. The second one though, concerns life and our response to it, and this could not be further from exact science.

Anyway, I believe it to be truth. For me - it is yet another evidence that the physical and meta-physical worlds act under the same laws. Am I getting creepy here? OK, I'm stopping with the philosophical mumbo-jumbo.

So let's talk about life's inertia. The bad thing about it is that we continue doing what we are doing even if is not good for us anymore. Why? Because we are lazy, unmotivated ... or we are unaware of what is going on.

Thinking about my life lately I've found a lot of inertia, happening without my awareness. And this insight is freaking me out. Am I living or just going through life? Who is at the steering wheel? It's got to be me, right?

As usual, I'm too tough on myself, but it is worth to make some changes. Small and big ... it is all about balance, right? Let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment